Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed Tower with Dyneema rope guys

To: Geoff@contesting.com,Eaton@contesting.com:Tenergy <geoff@tenergy.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed Tower with Dyneema rope guys
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:10:31 -0500
On Jan 7, 2006, at 6:36 AM, Geoff Eaton : Tenergy wrote:

> My company based in New Zealand  is looking at designing a guyed
> tower for
> New Zealand conditions and using Dyneema  ropes, with are made from
> "superstrong" polyethylene fibers.

Polyethylene is certainly strong, although a rope capable of holding
4000 lbs would be pretty thick.

One problem with Polyethylene is that it degrades under UV radiation
from the sun. The UV breaks the polymer chains and the rope loses
much strength and becomes brittle. Not the sort of behavior you want
in a guy.

You'd need to protect the rope with an impenetrable UV jacket. And if
the jacket were damaged, you'd risk failure at that point.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901