Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease
From: Michael Germino <ad6aa@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 20:35:31 -0800 (PST)
If one would grease this type of bearing, you could over grease the bearing
and damage the seal.  If you don't have a cover over the bearing, water would
then get into the bearing.  Probably with the very low RPM and load, you
wouldn't need to grease the bearing if the seal is good.  If it was me....one
or two shots of grease every year or two would be all that I would do. (and not
at all if the bearing is new)

If you do peek and see if there is a grease hole in the bearing, make sure you
put it back the same way.  The hole and the grease track of the bearing housing
are offset.

As I understand it a "Thrust bearing" is a bearing that in the case of a mast
would support the load of the mast.  A "Thrust bearing" supports loads.

The original question I believe was about a Fafnir LCJ 1 15/16 flanged housed
bearing.  This is a very stout bearing, probably the only reason to have a
bearing this strong, is the hole has to be large enough for the mast.  I am
using bearings this size in tough applications where there is more revolutions
in a day than any Ham will do on a tower in a lifetime and I don't grease every
day.  Although this isn't a classic "Thrust bearing" it should be able to
handle a significant thrust load.  I haven't used a LCJ bearing, I suspect that
it has a special seal, since it lays on it's side. (the "L" in LCJ)

Mike
AD6AA
(a farmer who has changed a lot of bearings)