Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Grounding

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Grounding
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 12:21:19 -0400 (EDT)
And don't forget two more places....

1.  Garage sales.  I picked up a brand new whole roll of  1.5 inch of
braided strip for $10.

2.  Hamfests.  Sometimes you can get lucky at these too,  especially if it
is raining at the tailgating section.

Bill KH7XS/K4XS

In a message dated 10/11/2011 3:59:44 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
infomet@embarqmail.com writes:

Good  grief, we are HAMS.  We do things on the cheap, because it's fun and
educational.  The leftover money can buy beer, ice cream, radio  stuff.
Frugality is power!

I looked at Georgia Copper a while back,  and found them to  be outrageous,
by my standards.  Yes, Cu is  very high right now, so they are locked in to
some extent and have to do  what they have to do.  We DO NOT, however!

Talk to your  electrician buddies.  There are often small bits of wire on
construction sites and some contractors don't find it worthwhile to take
it
to the junkyard.  You don't need to find massive wire.  Just  lay up some
12
or 14 ga to get what you want.  You can put it right  in a split bolt and
make a good connection.  You can solder it with a  MAPP torch and silver
solder, or a propane plumbers torch and regular  solder.

Another good source is the power company.  When you see a  line truck
working, ask if they have a scrap of service entrance  wire.  2/0 Al would
make a fine ground jumper and there's lots of  hardware for it at the home
stores.  I've been given "scraps" 20'  long, with three strands.

I think a split bolt can be used to hook to a  round tower brace perfectly.

And don't forget your town dump.   Mine does not allow salvage, but many
are
OK with citizens repurposing  trash!
And the attendants at some of the former become more sympathetic in  return
for a few greenstamps or some wheat soda!

When you see a new  house going up, stop and sk if you can looko in theh
dumpster/scrap  heap.  Both contractors and power people will often leave
stuff  behind.

Remember, talikng on the radio is just the reward for BUILDING  your
station.
The more resourceful the building, and the more you learn in  the process,
the greater the reward.  After all, you can get on the  internet and
operate
a remotely controlled station and have no reward at  all!

Wilson
W4BOH