[TowerTalk] Coper clad steel

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coper clad steel
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:20:31 +0100 (BST)
The former AM broadcast tower where I have my remote
station uses bare copper-clad steel radials. This was
apparently because many of the radials are on or above
the surface due to the rocky terrain, and solid copper
wires were quickly broken by the wild life. I am sure
that good quality wire was used, but they all seem to
be in excellent condition and are at least 30 years
old.

On the down side, I imagine they were extremely
difficult to lay as they are kept under considerable
tension and held in place with rings bolted into the
rock. In places they have broken and have coiled
themselves into big springs - but the plating is still
there.

73 Roger
VE3ZI

now.