Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches
From: Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:22:50 -0700
Well, I got to thinking that teh Molwaukee Hoel Hog at 300 RPM would be too
fast for the
tower tilting application and thinking about wjat an appropriate RPM would
be
I come up with 90 to 120 RPM - So the questions is

What 1/2 inch chuck drill ( that uses a Chuck Key and not those stupid hand
tightening chucks )
that was variable speed  and reversable) would be able to develop
significant torque and not
overheat at that RPM.

I have a call into Makita Engineering Department but after talking to one of
the tech ZSipport people
have my doubts that I will even get a call back. The tech guy I talked to
didn't even have a clue
what I was talking about when I mentioned torque curves for different RPM
and all I get from makita Engineering Dept is voice mail....

I don't see anything that Miwaukee offers in theor line of drills.

Anyone on this ref;lector been down this road before or is back to teh tower
with "armstrong" methode and a Tag tem.

I plan to use a Fukton KW3000 worm gear type winch that ha s gear ratio of
51.1 to one
which is way too slow to crank by hand

http://www.fultonperformance.com/Couplers/pdfs/Ceq-Couplers-pgs19-25-08.pdf

73, Dennis N6KI