Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder

To: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>,Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:13:42 -0500 (CDT)
Roger:

     Yes, you are correct.  It was N conncetors that I had been crimping.  But
I'd also use the same method for PL-259s when the need arises.  Borrowing the
club's crimper makes the decision a lot less painful, I'll admit.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: 2007/06/21 Thu AM 09:23:33 CDT
To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>

Gene Smar wrote:
> Greg:
>
>      A few months back I did up a set of such crimp connectors for our club's
> repeater's main site (4 UHF link RXs.)  I was impressed with the ease with
> which the connectors all went together.  The trick is to get the proper
> length of the center insulator so that the center tip (which must be
> soldered) locks into position when the connector is assembled.  I had to redo
> the first three connectors after I learned that the center pins snapped into
> place.
>
>      I measured the jumper cables' loss with my MFJ-259 and they were all
> below the loss I measured for the pre-assembled jumper I used as my model.
>
>      I have some coax cable work to do on the tower this summer, and I will
> certainly ask to borrow the club's crimper tool to install the PL-259s.
>
>      BTW - Our club bought the connectors and tool from Joel at The RF
> Connection ( www.therfc.com .)
>

> 73 de
> Gene Smar  AD3F

You must have been doing type N connectors.

73, Roger

--
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://ussliberty.org/