Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder

To: ab7r@cablespeed.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:18:39 -0500 (CDT)
Greg:

     A few months back I did up a set of such crimp connectors for our club's
repeater's main site (4 UHF link RXs.)  I was impressed with the ease with
which the connectors all went together.  The trick is to get the proper length
of the center insulator so that the center tip (which must be soldered) locks
into position when the connector is assembled.  I had to redo the first three
connectors after I learned that the center pins snapped into place.

     I measured the jumper cables' loss with my MFJ-259 and they were all below
the loss I measured for the pre-assembled jumper I used as my model.

     I have some coax cable work to do on the tower this summer, and I will
certainly ask to borrow the club's crimper tool to install the PL-259s.

     BTW - Our club bought the connectors and tool from Joel at The RF
Connection ( www.therfc.com .)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: ab7r@cablespeed.com
Date: 2007/06/21 Thu AM 08:54:37 CDT
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crimp or Solder

Good morning all,

I'm tired of trying to get a good PL-259 by soldering as my hands often shake
too
much.  Though eventually I get it done.

I recently read some comments elsewhere that a well-crimped connector is just
as
good, but wondering what you all think before I try it.  I'm not talking about
the
tool that crimps regular connectors designed for soldering as I hear the tend
crack the connector. But I am talking about the ratcheted type that leaves a
hex
shaped-crimp on a connecter designed for it.  I would do this with both 9913
Davis
buryflex and LMR-240 UF.

Thanks!

73,