Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Question

To: "Cycle-24" <aluminumtubing@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Question
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:17:45 -0700
Cycle-24 wrote:
> Hello tower talk experts.  I have been using air wound 1:1 coax baluns for
> years with great success on our antennas.  They are reliable and have
> Kevin N5DX

I'm not sure how you define "success" but if you measure
the typical commercial 1:1 air balun in a plastic pipe
on a 4 port network analyzer, you will see that it is a
train wreck in terms of both mismatch and common mode
rejection.  Also, they are voltage baluns, which are
normally not what you want.  The bead type current balun
has poor common mode rejection at the low frequency end
of the range.  It is probably true that you are unlikely
to burn up an air balun.

Rick N6RK