Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base In Concrete

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base In Concrete
From: "Keith eMail" <kcarter49@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:12:39 -0400
re: tower base in concrete
In my experience you need to coat the galvanized tower with spray automotive
type under coating, tar, or
something to protect it from the acidic concrete. I have seen several Rohn
25 towers that rusted
off right at ground level because they weren't protected from direct
contact. Galvanized tower and
concrete don't really play well together over the long term. I have since
noticed that commercial grade
galvanized road culverts have a tar like coating for, I suppose, the same
problem. Just my observation.
Keith