Re: [TowerTalk] Engineering advice on above ground foundation

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Engineering advice on above ground foundation
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 21:36:50 -0400
Is the concrete base growing?  The original post (shown below) said that the
base is 10 x 10 x 5 which is 18 1/2 cu yards of concrete and would weigh
considerably less than your estimate.  As Jim Lux pointed out, it's
apparently "floating" on the water table so it would be easier to overturn
than if on solid ground.    I agree at this point the best advice is have PE
evaluate the base.  Perhaps the tower height and windload can be adjusted if
necessary to make this a safe installation.

GL,
John KK9A

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:54:03 -0500

The following are some things that could help in the review process.

Type of concrete and rebar used.

Soil samples.

Pictures of the installation.

Was the excavation belled into the soil at the lowest part of the form?

>From what you have explained, her are my opinions, and only opinions, do
>not
take my word as proof, have it reviewed by a PE.

Your foundation design is what is known as a "Gravity Block". It relies
primary on shear weight and very little on vertical earth frictions.

With that information in mind, we use the following gross mathematics:

11x11x5 = 22.41 Cu Yards of concrete
Weight assuming 3500psi or better concrete = 73953 lbs (not including
reinforcing steel - Rebar)
Using standard leverage formulas it would take 8.0kips of force at the tower
top to topple this foundation, however that has no assumed safety factor. If
we use the industry standard safety factor of 10-1 this leaves only an
acceptable overturning momentum force of .827 kips (approx 827 lbs). Now
these factors only hold in perfect world scenario, this foundation was
designed with very little room for safety/fudge factor. If your contractor
was a grade A guy and did everything by the book, in my opinion, and only my
opinion, this would be an acceptable amateur radio tower installation, since
it does not have to meet current Rev. G. industry standards. :)

However, please do not take my word for it. Have the construction and
engineering reviewed by a PE from your area, who is familiar with your local
weather concerns.

Richard Elizondo
Senior Consultant
Ionos Communications
361-887-6700
relizondo@ionoscom.com

From: Rudy Bakalov
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:41:58 -0700 (PDT)

I have a rather complex situation that certainly can benefit from
the collective wisdom and experience of this reflector.
My property has a very high water table and as a result my builder and I
decided to build the tower foundation mostly above ground. Specifically, we
dug
a hole, filled it with compacted gravel that is above the water table,
covered
the gravel with very thick sheets of plastic, and inserted 2' styrofoam
boards
around the base. Then we poured the concrete.  As a result, only about 1.5'
of
the foundation is below ground, 3.5' are above.  The overall dimensions are
10'
x 10' x 5'.
Now I wonder what are the additional engineering issues we need to address
make sure the foundation will last and the 90' AN Wireless tower will stay
up.
 Currently, we have identified the following next steps:
1) Waterproof the concrete using silica based solutions, such as Penetron,
Xypex, etc. as permanent solution against water getting into the
foundation2)
Add extra waterproofing using tar/asphalt-like solutions to make sure we
have
extra protection should cracks emerge3) Add styrofoam boards to prevent
against
freezing (it gets as cold as -25F in Ontario)4) Backfill around the
structure
to create a mound that takes the rain and melting snow water away from the
concrete. I have also proposed we layer more plastic sheets about a foot
below
the mound surface to make sure no water gets near the foundation
Any further comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Rudy N2WQ