Re: [TowerTalk] Grease for Rotor bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kc8hz@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grease for Rotor bearings
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:48:08 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/13/2011 4:19:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I've seen this grease/no grease thread for years and  never gave it much
thought. But, I now have to wonder why anyone would design  a bearing with
an aluminum body/race ?  The reason I say this is that I  took down a tower
several years ago that had a TH6DXX on a TB3.  The  system had been idle for
several years with the antenna rocking back and forth  the whole time. Even
tho the brake on HAM-M was set there's still some  movement. As a result,
the bearings ground into the race and dug out pot holes  to the point that
the bearing would not turn at all.

    Yep. That's what happens when you have soft  aluminum races and hard
steel ball bearings. A good reason to exercise the  rotator once in awhile and
not always leave the antenna parked at the same  heading.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH