[TowerTalk] Build your own Square Needle

To: towertalk@contesting.com, mjweaver@fmtcs.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Build your own Square Needle
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:29:21 EST
In a message dated 3/19/2006 10:35:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,

I would like to fabricate a tubular tower similar to a Wilson TT-45
(crank-up, fold-over). I would appreciate any information were I could obtain
construction plans.
Thanks
Mike
K?BGP
===================================
I have designs for the fabrication of a tubular tower using Square tubing.
the advantage of using square tubing is that it requires no anti-torque keyway.
 The last section may be round as it's orientation is determined by the
mating preceeding section.

It takes lots of fabrication - Base Plate, Gussets for base, pully brackets
and roller guides for bottoms of the mating sections, winch platform assembly.
Using 3/16" wall, 4" , 3" and 2" round you can easily attain 40 ft or more.
The roller guides generally do not require bearings, and can easily be
fabricated from solid round stock. A lathe helps.

Using 6", 4", 3", and a short 2" extension 58 to 60 feet works well. The
larger assembly weighs about 700#.  These designs are based on nominal 20ft
lengths. Most steel yards will carry lengths up to 24 ft or so.

Regards,
Norm W4QN