Re: [TowerTalk] Rain Water Getting Into TX-472 Motors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rain Water Getting Into TX-472 Motors
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 12:53:26 -0500 (EST)
>  Remember, the tower manufacturers don't build their own  motors....they
buy them from electric motor suppliers, so if you look hard  enough you
will find a suitable replacement and will not have to spend the  big
(marked up) bucks by buying a replacement from the tower  mfgr.

    Roger that. And they don't make their wire  rope cables so I wouldn't
put any stock in their (UST) advice against  lubricating the cables.

    I had a UST customer with a bum motor and it  turns out that it'd been
mounted upsidedown so the drain holes were on the top.  Glug, glug.

    K6RB just had a UT motor failure and took it  to his local electric
motor shop. $68 later he was up and running again. Getting  some motor service
from UST would've cost hundreds.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH