[TowerTalk] Beverage and radial interactions???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beverage and radial interactions???
From: gejones@whale.st.usm.edu (Gary E. Jones)
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 21:19:27 -0600
Towertalkians:

Two years ago I followed the lead of K5ZD and put up a sloping vertical for
160. Marvelous little antenna and thanks Randy for the suggestion. If you
have a >90' tower, this is the easiest way to go.

Then I put up two Beverages. One Beverage (NE-SW) runs within about 60' of
the base of the sloping vertical. The other Beverage (NW-SE) runs within 15
- 20 feet. They form an X on my property looking from above...

The first year I had the radials (4) laying on the ground. Last year I
elevated the radials up about 10 feet. Now my question....

Last year, my impression was that my Beverages were just not working as
they did the year before. I spent lots of time looking at them, replacing
termination resistors, etc. Never found anything wrong but felt that the
antennas were not as quiet and just not as consistently good.

My question, It has occurred to me that when I elevated my radials, the
elevation brought them close to the Beverages. One elevated radial was
within a few feet of my NW-SE Beverage and another radial was within a few
feet of the NE-SW Beverage. It occurs to me that the radials may have been
degrading the Beverages. What do you experienced Beverage experimenters
have to think... Will this create a problem or not?  Will I induce noise in
the Beverages?

I would appreciate all comments and will publish a summary....

                                                        Gary     W5FI,    ex
W5VSZ