[TowerTalk] Dayton talk on Elevated Verticals/Radial

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dayton talk on Elevated Verticals/Radial
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:42:21 -0900

Also coming in this morning was the following
email from Bill,  N3RR;  assume he does not mind my
sharing the contents,  nothing seems personal,  hi:

"Jim,

This is the first post from you on this subject that I've seen.  Not sure
whether your experiment is for KH7 only, or generic investigation, but,
it's all been done before, generically.

At Dayton ,1996 (or was it 1997), a presentation was made that described
two similar tests made at two different AM broadcast stations (thousand
miles apart) which were each being relocated.    During construction of the
replacement antennas, tests were performed, measurements made, radials
(elevated 10 feet) were added, dropped, etc.  Quite a thorough examination,
using two different stations.  The consulting engineer who made these tests
gave the presentation.

Bottom line: 4 elevated radials acts like 128 buried radials and 2 elevated
radials acts like 4 elevated radials.

I think your investigation would be rather academic based on these results
(the additional results for more than 4 elevated radials which were
provided at the seminar I have forgotten).  My conclusion: four elevated
radials is all that's ever needed and two is just as good (At least for
the160 M band).

Sorry I can't remember who gave the presentation at the antenna forum, but
I am sure K3LR, the moderator, would remember.

Bill, N3RR"

Which just further hi-lights the differences of opinion
existing on this topic.  Will see if I can run down this
report;  has it been published in some sort of Forum
proceedings?

73,  Jim,  KH7M