[TowerTalk] LMR Cable Loss

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR Cable Loss
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:25:33 -0900

Hi again,

Seems I  have been expecting more from my LMR-400
than what it really does do.  Got the following this
morning from Chad, WED9V:

"According to your numbers, they seem to only be off ~0.1dB/100' as to
what Times Microwave would have to say.

You can go here:

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate

to do the calculations.

For example:
>15 Meters
>
>f=21058,    loss of entire chain,  xcvr to TT switch input,  2.7 dB.
>
>       Loss of in shack stuff,  1.2 dB
>       Loss of LMR-400 line,   1.5 dB,  or 0.7 dB/100 feet.

They calculate 0.565 dB/100', or 1.2dB for 220'."

So given some connector loss and whatever else,  guess my
220 feet is doing about what it can.  I also went to the
Timesmicrowave calculator.  There you can enter the LMR
type,  the distance of the run,  and up comes lots of interesting
data!!

Now I wish I could afford LMR-1200,  costs about $5/foot for
around 220 feet,  plus connectors.   Or,  something like
$1100 plus air freight out here to Kauai!

 Anyway,  not sure how I would  screw it onto my S0-239 sockets
either,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M