[TowerTalk] measuring terrain slope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] measuring terrain slope
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:27:16 -0500
At 12:45 PM 12/23/98 -0700, k6ll@juno.com wrote:

>Let's see... You could take an slr camera, telephoto lens, and
>a tripod down onto the low ground and take sightings up the
>hill. Read the slant range to the focus point off the lens
>markings, and read the upward camera tilt from a carpenter's level
>and protractor. Since you want to take the readings every 50 feet,
>this should work pretty well.
>
>The vertical and horizontal distances would then resolve as:
>
>vertical distance = slant distance x sin(tilt angle)
>
>horizontal distance = slant distance x cos(tilt angle)

I'm sure Dave's method would work, but to tell the truth I also wonder how
important small imperfections in the smoothness of the foreground are at
HF.  I believe that there's a formula for how smooth a reflector has to be,
as a function of frequency, and that it applies to ground reflection and
refraction as well.  Seems I recall that at HF the reflector can be
"unsmooth" by +/- several tens of feet without affecting the reflected wave.

Empirically, I know that my foreground here is flat +/- 10 feet to well
beyond the Fresnel zone, and introducing a 10-foot step or "notch" into
that profile produces almost no discernible pattern effect in YTAD.

Seems to me that the largest-scale USGS topo maps contain data that are
probably more than accurate enough for HF purposes.  Both the price and the
relative effort expended are a real bargain.

73,  Pete N4ZR
Loud is good