[TowerTalk] How Important is F/B?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How Important is F/B?
From: k6km@mail2.quiknet.com (cncnet - Bill Snider)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 21:31:41 -0700
At 02:43 AM 6/27/97 GMT, you wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:06:48 -0400 (EDT), Bill Fisher - W4AN
><w4an@contesting.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, T. A. Russell wrote:
>>
>>> In my opinion,  Front-to-Back ratio is an overrated characteristic.

Depends totally on what you're going to do with the antenna. Do you
want to be one of the first to work the newly emerged reef? Then
f/b means nil. You need GAIN. Do you want to hold your freq against
other USA stations in a contest? You need LOW f/b. OR much better,
another antenna,

Having a second antenna to point wherever you need it, to find mults
or to blow away freq-stealers, is very useful. In a lot of situations,
two tribanders beat one killer antenna.

IF you're going to put up only one antenna, the importance of f/b vs.
gain depends entirely on your very own situation. If backside QRM ain't
a problem, you want GAIN!! If backside QRM gives you a problem,
go for f/b but pay attention to gain.

Out here on the left coast, I've had my run freq stolen by East Coast
QRPers. Splitting the output between the EU antenna and the "keep
'em away" antenna ALWAYS yields a better rate. The second antenna
brings in unexpected mults as well.

Bottom line: The beauty of f/b is in the eye of the beholder.

73 de Bill K6KM

Bill Snider, K6KM
Trustee, Feather River Operating Group K6WW
Are you a F. R. O. G.?