No subject

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: No subject
From: gejones@netdoor.com (Gary E. Jones, Ph.D.)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:08:22 -0600
Last fall during one of the hurricanes, my Moseley S-402 e-element yagi on
40 suffered a little bit of distortion. The S-402 is has a single driven
element and a reflector. The high winds at this QTH blew the reflector off
of perfectly horizontal. I would say that the reflector is off horizontal
by 20 to 25 degrees.

Since that time, I have been impressed with how much worse my S-402 seems
to be playing. I also replaced both of the loading coils at the same time,
and maybe there is something else with the antenna, but I have begun to
notice how much harder I am having to work to break the piles on 40. Maybe
it is just me, maybe advancing age, but it seems the antenna has much less
gain.

I am wondering if someone has modeled this situation on a computer or
directly experimented with the situation of elements out of perfect plane.
Is this a serious problem?   How much plane distortion does one have to
have before antenna performance becomes seriously distorted?

Any help/experience would be greatly appreciated.

                                        Gary    W5FI