Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna--choices

To: "Grant Bright" <gbright@bellsouth.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna--choices
From: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:24:08
At 12:23 PM 2/1/2008 -0500, Grant Bright wrote:
>Hello Rick, Steve, Dan, Jim, G, Tonno, and all 80m DX Gurus,
>
>Been following the discussion on 80 meter antenna comparisons.
>
>I am looking for recommendations for the best DX antenna considering my
tower limitations:

>Tower: 96 ft self support tower--going up March. Limit of 100 lbs at top.
Considering 40 meter 2-3 element M2--linear loaded.

>Choices for 80 meters:
>             1) 80 meter rotatable dipole (M2) linear loaded
>
>             2) 4 square (wire dipoles) with Comtech (or similar) switch box
>
>             3) Two Delta loops
>
>             4) Recommendations ???

Hi Grant,

1) I had a linear loaded 2el 80 (M2) and was very disappointed with it. I
would not put up a linear loaded anything again.

2) My choice. Fairly low in cost and switchable in 4 directions.

3) This is OK but I believe it's bidirectional only.

This past Summer I built a 2el 80 mtr Yagi with high-Q loading coils ( like
W6ANR, K7ZV, et al) and it is a killer antenna. It's at 145 feet. I do not
have room for a 4 square.

GL N7RT