[TowerTalk] Re: pencil marks (was element vibration)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: pencil marks (was element vibration)
From: baycock@hiwaay.net (Bill Aycock)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 05:27:58 -0600
I could be wrong- but I think this may be folklore.  I would like to see a
reference to an accident report, or other documentation, about the
phenomenon.  Pencil lead is primarily a mix of graphite and clay, fired to
high temperature, and has nothing to promote corrosion.

can someone cite a source? Considering the amount of aluminum some members
of this list have in the air,  this needs checking.

Bill- W4BSG

tA 10:38 PM 12/30/1998 -0500, you wrote:

>Ron Stone's post reminded me of something that I remember from flying.
>Never use a lead pencil to draw lines or reference marks on aluminum.
>The pencil lead will cause the aluminum to corrode and weaken the metal.
>
>Several emergency landing were traced back to someone using a pencil to
>marking a paint line on the prop tips.  The tips separated in flight and
>caused the engine to have to be shut down due to vibration.
>
>This is not to say that Ron did this.  It just reminded me of times I
>stopped someone from marking the element with a pencil to show how far
>in the elements are supposed to be inserted.
>
>Sorry for the space just might help someone else later.
>
>Steve
>KD4WIW

>E-mail:  kd4wiw@iass.net
>Home Page: http://www.ipass.net/~kd4wiw/