[TowerTalk] Half slopers using a tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Half slopers using a tower
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 13:27:54 -0500
At 01:00 PM 1/1/02 -0500, WX3K wrote:
>ground radials ??? I really need to bury them or the lawnmower will get them
>for sure. My ground is very uneven here :-)

Well, you also need them for your half-sloper, if and when you get the SWR
down.  There really isn't any free lunch here.  Either antenna will work
without radials, but will be proportionately better with them.

For whatever it's worth, I've been gradually increasing my radial count
with a trick taught by K1VR.  I use an 8-foot ground rod bent to a slight
arc with a hole through one end.  It works like a carpet needle and I just
stitch the radials into the grass.  They aren't buried, but they sure
aren't mower bait.

PS -- I like to climb my tower, too, but not in January!

73, Pete N4ZR

The revised World Contest
Station Database
is online at www.pvrc.org

This list is sponsored by the new eHam.net Store.  When you buy products
price goes to support this list.  Check it out at http://www.eham.net.

-----