[TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Capacitor for Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Capacitor for Tower
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 15:41:16 -0500
At 01:30 PM 2/8/02 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
>I think my relay suggestion makes a better OPEN and SHUT case :-)
>for those who are concerned about boom currents when using the Yagi.
>I wonder what F12 has to say about just connecting the end elements
>to the boom to prevent arcing when using the tower as a 160M vertical?

I believe they have said that this is a possibility, since it should not
affect the operation of the antenna on its design frequency.

Given the high voltages present, I assume that a vacuum latching relay
would be a good choice if one chose to apply this solution.  And of course,
it might be that there would be no deleterious effect in any given
installation from simply strapping the two together -- but there might be.
In my case, I'm leery because the 40m antenna that may need arc protection
is only 6 feet above a tribander.

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower