[TowerTalk] FW: Magnetic Declination

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Magnetic Declination
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:53:10 -0400
At 12:41 PM 9/22/01 -0400, Dave, AA6YQ wrote:

>If you know your QTH's latitude and longitude or grid square and your PC's
>time is accurate (using a freeware internet-accessible atomic clock like
>AboutTime http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime/index.html ), DXView will tell
>you when the sun is exactly true north of your tower - see
>www.qsl.net/dxview . If your rotator has a PC interface, DXView will control
>it for your, displaying your beam heading and the solar terminator on a
>world map. And its free.

I probably should have made this point earlier, but working to this level
of precision is pointless for HF antennas, typically with 1/2 power
beamwidths of 30 degrees or more.  That's why I hoped we could avoid
resurrecting the True North thread again.

for those who really must know more, go to www.contesting.com, look in the
left margin for the "List Search" window, and enter the terms towertalk and
true north.  I guarantee your thirst for knowledge will be sated!

73, Pete N4ZR

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----