Re: [TowerTalk] verticals above beams

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] verticals above beams
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:36:32 -0400
This discussion has drifted somewhat, from the original question,
which was,
"how to I treat the radials?".    And the answer to that is,  you
don't.   Can't do it
without tangling in the beam.    Can't effectively use the beam as
radials, either.

THAT said,  I had a Cushcraft R7000 vertical about 5' above my LPDA
on a 60'
tower, at our old place in VT.    The R7k is "ground independent", in
that it uses
a choke system to decouple the feedline, and it feeds the vertical as
if it were
electrically 3/8 wave long... something like a 200 ohm feed point.
It has several
3' long whips, where you'd expect to see radials.   These are part of
the decoupling
circuit.

It worked just fine.   HOWEVER, it had a 3dB f/b ratio on any band
covered by the LPDA!

What was happening was mutual coupling between the shields of the
feedlines for each
antenna.   Some serious decoupling work was needed, to eliminate the
common mode
currents from each feeder.  Once those chokes were in place, the
"pattern" returned to normal.

N2EA