Re: [TowerTalk] Bird Model 74 coaxial switch wear out mechanisms?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bird Model 74 coaxial switch wear out mechanisms?
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 13:24:55 -0500
I cannot give you a formal number from Bird but I have used dozens of these for over 30 years for tempest test applications. It would not be uncommon for a technician in our lab to use one of these switches at least 100 times a day, year after year, decade after decade w/o any issues. We would as a matter of routine maintenance spray the contacts with contact cleaner and verify their I.L. in all positions. They are _extremely_ robust. I use several for my own RF applications here at home.

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....

On 12/11/2019 12:19 PM, al.n6ta@gmail.com wrote:
Anyone know the center contact in the movable part wears out after many
mating cycles?  I would use one of these to change antennas daily, and
multiple times a day.  Not sure of its design purpose and if this is
'abuse'.

Thanks!

Al-N6TA