Re: [TowerTalk] Question about lowering a Fold-Over tower

To: RLVZ@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question about lowering a Fold-Over tower
From: EZ Rhino <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:24:14 -0700
Hi Dick,

I'd use a falling derrick to do it that way if I were you.  It can be as easy
as a couple long 2x4's bolted together at the top to make an "A".  Your cable
will go right over the crotch of the two crossed 2x4's.  I'd attach the strap
at about the 2/3rd's point, but that's just an offhand guess.

On second thought, I think you'd want the falling derrick a bit longer than
what 2x4's come in...but it could still be done with inexpensive
lumber/poles/etc.  A buddy's truck mounted winch would make a more controlled
and safe descent than the car driving toward the tower, but that's easy for me
to say as I own one on my Jeep.  :-)

Here's a vid of us doing this same concept at 7QP last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_oYsijKlSg

Chris
KF7P

On Feb 1, 2012, at 18:10 , RLVZ@aol.com wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm going to lower a 90' Heights aluminum fold over tower with  my car
tomorrow evening.  I've done this before without destroying the  tower so
hopefully I can have another successful lowering!

My question is what is the best height on the tower to  attach my Nylon
Strap for lowering the  tower?

A few thoughts:

1) The 90' tower folds over  at ground level and has a 36" wide base.

2) In the past, I attached my nylon strap  around the tower at aprx. the
35' level and then attach a 1/4" steel cable to  the nylon strap and raise and
lower the tower with my car.

3) I keep the top of the  tower 13' off of the ground so there's room to
attach my 24' boom  Yagi to the top of the tower.  Keeping the top of the
tower 13' off of  the ground makes it easier to lower and raise the tower with
vehicle than if  the top of tower was on or near the ground.  That said,
with the  top of the tower 13' off of the ground it's still quite touchy
raising and  lower the tower as only as a small movement in the vehicle makes a
big  change in the tower.

So I'm looking for the best strap height to lower  the tower and the best
strap height for raising the tower.  After  using the 35' height before... I
don't think that one height is the ideal height  for raising and lowering
the tower.  Since it's easy to locate the nylon  strap anywhere on the tower
I'm looking for the best height for lowering and  best height for raising.

All thoughts appreciated!

Thanks-

Dick- K9OM