[TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:01:30 -0800 (PST)
Well, Chip created controversy on here (and elsewhere)...  He seems to have
made a market for his cell phone and other UHF antenna products - and more
power to him...  This is 'supposed' to be a capitalistic economy where you take
risks and get to keep the rewards (or losses)...
But having Gov't / DOD contracts is not necessarily proof positive of a
superior product...

Having said that, as an empirical antenna nutcase, I am unable to visualize
where bending my dipole into lebenty zillion short segments at angles to each
other will improve the performance...
He and Tom, W8JI, got pretty personal in the dispute...  Tom made his antenna
arguments with an analysis of the fractal antenna based on the laws of physics,
and some fairly deep math...  Tom comes across as a good old boy, but his
education is solid in electrical engineering and he has the annoying habit of
being 'right' most of the time...

Anyway, it has been peaceful since Chip left the scene (or was pushed)and I
prefer it that way...

denny / k8do