[TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Components

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Components
From: yo3ctk@alltrom.ro (Mihail Mateescu)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:41:24 +0300
A personal experience: my wife and myself were hit by a lightning
strike, in a summer afternoon, when we took shelter under a tree from a
sudden shower. This was happening in the middle of Bucharest, Capital
city of Romania. We were surrounded by dozen of apartment buildings,
10-story high, with plenty of antennas on the roofs. Why the lightning
has stricken this particular tree, when all surrounding buildings were
made of reinforced concrete and (presumably) well grounded, is a mystery
for me. Maybe someone will come up with a theory.

To describe this experience in detail is too long for this post. Now we
are both alive and well. But we spent a whole week in a hospital, with
no other treatment than pain killers. There are other connotations to
this story, some comical and some very sad, which I refrain to tell
here.

So please folks, take all protective measures against the lightning. It
CAN kill you !

73 de Mike, YO3CTK

        May all your lightning strike no closer than the hill beyond yon
hill.

        -73-

        LB, W4RNL