Re: [TowerTalk] N - clamp style connector

To: <w4lde@numail.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N - clamp style connector
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:47:54 -0800
As someone who's actually set up assembly lines to install Type N
military connectors for USAF contracts (20+ years ago!), I might add one
of the biggest problems hams have is misapplication of connector vs.
coax.  Even a skilled expert who's assembled thousands of N connectors
on cables is going to be highly challenged if the right materials aren't
presented to him.

As an example, I see a lot of hams using the UG-21D/U connectors from
the Amphenol "RFX" series (82-202-RFX or equivalent).  You might note
those are intended for "RG8, RG9, RG213, RG214" cables.  Well, this is
downright impossible.  RG8 and RG213 are single shielded and smaller in
O.D. than RG9 and RG214 which are double-shielded.  For a "clamp"
connector, how can a single design work for cables having either one or
two shields, and having two different O.D.s?  Impossible.

So what Amphenol did, in their infinite wisdom, was make the connector
suitable for double shielded cable with a larger O.D., and figured
somehow we'd make that work for the other stuff.  It really doesn't.

If you use one of these connectors (or hundreds of varieties like them)
you'll find that on single braided cable like RG213, or 9913 or LMR400
etc, the clamp does not clamp tightly (it clamps loosely, even with the
nut fully tightened) and there's a gap between the jacket of the cable
and the hole in the rear nut.  That's 'cause the cable's not right for
the connector.

Now use the same connector, but with RG214/U, having two braids and the
proper O.D.  What a difference!  The clamp clamps very tightly, before
the nut is fully threaded into the connector body, and the hole in the
rear nut just barely passes the cable -- after assembly, there is no
visible gap there at all.

WB2WIK/6