Non-Rohn Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Non-Rohn Tower
From: dann4gnr@hartcom.net (Dan Cisson)
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 14:37:33 -0400
shamby wrote:

> I'm hoping someone out here can help me with some spec's.  I have what
> appears to be Rohn tower, except that the dimensions are not right. My
> understanding is that Rohn 25 tower sides are approx. 11-3/4".  The
> sides on mine are appprox. 15" per side and I assumed it was Rohn 45 and
> ordered a rotor shelf for same.
>
> Now I find out that 45G is approx 18" per sideand needless to say the
> bracket does not fit.  I am told that Rohn manufactured some tower for
> Motorola, to their specs and it certainly looks like Rohn product, but i
> larger that 25G and smaller than 45G.
>
> I have 4 straight sections and 1 top section.  The top section has a 36"
> x 2-1/4" tube.  This tower was given to me and appears to be in good
> condition, I just am unsure was it is.
>
> About my installation, I am setting 4 feet of the bottom section in
> cement and have a house bracket at 18 feet.  I had been hoping to get by
> without guying it and putting up a Hygain TH3. Now I'm not sure.
>
> Any Information/specs. would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 73...S. Hamby
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

YOUR TOWER IS A ROHN PRODUCT, IT WAS MADE EXCLUSIVELY FOR MOTOROLA,
AND CALLED "H.W. TOWER". SOME PEOPLE DUBBED IT ROHN 35, FOR IT
WASN'T 25, NOR WAS IT 45, BUT ROHN TOWER CO OFFICIALLY CALLS
IT "H.W." IT ALMOST CAN BE TREATED AS 45, BUT NOT QUITE. IF YOU
CAN GUY IT, YOU WILL BE MUCH BETTER OFF. YOU WILL BE PUTTING A
LOT OF PRESSURE ON WHAT-EVER THAT WALL BRACKET IS ATTACHED TO,
UNLESS YOU KNOW IT WON'T GIVE AT ALL, THAT BEING THE CASE, YOU
WILL BE O.K. WITH NO MORE ANTENNA THAN YOU MENTIONED. BY THE WAY,
YOU GOT A TREMENDOUS GIFT!!!!  73 DAN  N4GNR