[TowerTalk] Connectors and the weatherproofing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors and the weatherproofing
From: kd4wiw@ipass.net (Steve Vinson)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 18:05:45 -0800
Keith Morehouse - W9RM wrote:

> Somebody writes:
> >
> > I think I agree with Ed.  You're installing a "quick connect" and then
> > destroying the "quick"
>
> Those who insist on "quick connections" on a tower, in a typical
> location (where the weather seriously sucks, many times a year..)
> are destined to have connection problems for the rest of their radio or
> electronics lives.
>
> Quick connections and weatherproof reliability DO NOT go together unless
> you're willing to spend BIG BUCKS for certain MIL connectors and the
> tools to insert the conductors properly.
>
> No - I don't have connection problems...ever(weellll, HARDLY ever)...I
> guess that's why I buy tape by the case AND have become quite proficient
> in taping (and un-taping) connections.
>
> ---------------------------###-----------------------------
> PROBE ELECTRONICS 100 Higgins Road, Park Ridge IL 60068 USA
> Keith J. Morehouse /  W9RM  / Society of Midwest Contesters
> 847-696-2828  FAX: 847-698-2045  e-mail: blckhole@ripco.com

If quick disconnect is a necessary try this ... many companies make
outside weather proof boxes (ie Square D) that can be purchased either
in painted steel (your outside electric meter base or outside disconnect
for  your electrical service) or stainless steel.  Or have a local
machine shop make one your size, and mount it on the tower.
Advantages: all conectors are out of the weather, easily checked or
switched, or antenna changes much quicker.  Disadvantages: cost, added
wind load, harder to install the first time.

Later ... Steve KD4WIW