[TowerTalk] Bent mast.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bent mast.
From: rnygren@epix.net (Bob Nygren N3RN)
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 10:48:27 -0500
Greetings,
        First, let me save you a few bytes.

        "WE TOLD YOU SO!!!"

        The discussion about galvanized water pipe being a poor choice
for a mast was not ignored.  But when I put the tower up some 20 years
ago I didn't know any better.  After Monday nights blow, I know better!
        What I'd appreciate now is some advice regarding how to get the
antennas down safely.
        The tower is only 40 feet, mounted in concrete and bolted to the
house at 8 feet and at the peak.  The top of the tower is about 15
feet above the house.  Appox 9 feet of mast is in the tower.  The
remaining 12 feet or so is loaded with 205 elements of various VHF/UHF
antennas.  At the botton is 5 el on 6 meters. ( I can get this off OK)
At the top is 4 x 23 element F9FT's for 1296 and a 33 el looper for 903.
 I'd like to not destroy these guys!
        If I cut the mast at the top of the tower, would it fold over
gently or snap off?  ( I know Murphys Law.)
        Any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

        Thanks in advance,

        Bob N3RN  <rnygren@epix.net>   FN11WH (no longer 50 - 1296)