[TowerTalk] Newsline excerpt - 2000' Tower falls

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Newsline excerpt - 2000' Tower falls
From: seay@Alaska.NET (Del Seay)
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 13:38:58 -0800
Joseph A. Feustle, Jr. wrote:

> For what it's worth, this item appeared on the local evening news here in
> Toledo the day it happened. Given the magnitude of the disaster reported, I
> expected to see a followup on the ABC evening news. Nothing!
>
> I also looked in the morning paper the following morning. Zip. Nothing.
> Nada. I agree with Steve that it would be of benefit to all our friends and
> subscribers if someone could get complete information. Perhaps we could
> learn something, not that I ever expect to have a tower that size, well
> maybe half of that (In my dreams!).
>
> 73
> Joe, N8JF

 Not surprising! The mass media isn't interested in this type of
 disaster.
 I remember when a North-Central Air passenger liner hit a guy on
 a 1500 foot tower at Sioux Falls, S.D.  Outside of the local news
 coverage, there was not a mention.
 In this incident, the local engineer at the tv station was inside
 the transmitter building when it happened. He noticed the transmitter
 went off of the air (SWR Protect shut it down). He stood up to walk into
 the transmitter room, and before he got to the door, the first of the
 tower debris came through the roof and smashed the transmitter.
 He said he didn't have any idea which way to run. Luckily, he escaped
 with no harm, but I think he quit the job and never returned!

de KL7HF