[TowerTalk] Bill Orr on PL-259's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bill Orr on PL-259's
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 05:16:06 GMT
On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:56:26, -0500, FSWF37A@prodigy.com ( JAMES T
BRANNIGAN) wrote:
<snip>
>The key to any job is having the right tools. I use good PL-259?s,
>good quality cable, thin 60-40 solder and a large 100 watt soldering
>IRON.
<snip>
60-40 solder is ok in a pinch, but 63-37 is better because it's
eutectic (the e-word again).  Eutectic solder has the same melting and
freezing temperature, while non-eutectic melts at one temperature and
re-freezes as a slightly lower temperature.  During that brief
transition between temperatures, the joint is susceptible to being
seriously damaged if there is any movement at all.  This is not to say
that eutectic solder joints can be carelessly moved around while
cooling, but on the average they are far less susceptible to that kind
of problem.  This could be quite important up on a tower with the wind
blowing, etc, etc.

73, Bill W7TI
wrt@eskimo.com