[TowerTalk] Re: New Tower Grounding Spec - what about Aluminum wire?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: New Tower Grounding Spec - what about Aluminum wire?
From: kcubilo@freeway.net (ken cubilo)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 06:55:23 -0400
Madison R. Jones wrote:

> Chuck Dietz wrote:
> >
> > I have some really big aluminum wire...Can I use it for a ground wire?
> >
> > Ok with copper rods?  with galvanized rods?
> >
> > Chuck, KE5FI
> >
> > --
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
>
> *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
>
> In case you were not aware, the so-called high tension lines which are
> used to transport electical energy far and wide across the USofA are all
> made of aluminum.  The problem with aluminum wiring in household
> circuits (and why the electrical code prohibits it) is that the
> corrosion which forms when the aluminum wire hits the
> copper/brass/bronze contained in the fixture, circuit breaker or
> whatever prohibits the connection from being as good as it was designed
> to be: Heat builds up, the c/b does not pop, a fire begins, and pretty
> soon Chicago/Los Angeles/New York/Walla Walla is a smoldering ruin.  But
> what the hey? Check your connection every so often - it ought to work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Madison
> w5mj
>
> --
hi chuck on alum wire for grounding in one word a big no. as mentioned
in the national electrical code and translated here: aluminum wire is
not to be in direct contact with soil so that pretty much gets rid of
its useage as a ground ring. it can be attached to a ground rod provided
a fitting is used that is listed for alum wire but here again who wants
to have a shin breaker growing out of the ground to keep the wire from
being in contact with the ground.best advice get rid of it and use
copper wire which doesnt cost much more per foot... here in northern
michigan the connection to a grounding electrode(rod) never has to be
larger than #6 copper as in a strike or overload thats about all the
electrode can handle anything larger is overkill.
73 ken we8w