[TowerTalk] Re: Wallpaper woes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Wallpaper woes
From: k1ttt@berkshire.net (David Robbins)
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 12:13:18 +0000
L. B. Cebik wrote:

> >  But I find
> > it very difficult to read your work online.  The splotchy background makes
> > it hard to read for me and so I feel compelled to download it and then
> > read it.
>
> John's observation is a good one, and I shall try to replace the "fur"
> background with a "light paper" background this summer--on a time
> available basis.  Stark white as a background hurts my eyes in no
> time flat.  Since there is a good bit of good data on the web
> relevant to amateur radio, perhaps the following interim tips may be
> useful and not too much off target for the list.

another option that readers can use is to override the wallpaper
with their browser options.  with netscape you can tell it to use
your own backround colors which overrides any wallpaper the page
may define.  i find that many of the textured backrounds used on
pages with lots of text make it hard to read.  a very light color
low contrast wallpaper, preferably one that has features that are much
larger than the font size is best.  wallpapers that are dark, have
lots of small features, or have high contrast make reading tough.
your 'fur' comes out ok on netscape 4beta in 1024x768x256 colors,
but maybe it is worse in fewer colors or lower resolution.

--
David Robbins K1TTT (ex KY1H)
k1ttt@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net