[TowerTalk] Help.Cable replacement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Help.Cable replacement
From: andy ronan <1n9tgr@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:06:38 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Guys.I just put up a lm470 with the upgraded 3/8 SS cables.I erected the
tower  and had it up about a week when the main lift cable bound on one of the
pulleys and snapped and down came the tower.Luckily it was only a few feet off
the ground and had no load on it as the antennas were not installed yet.I did
manage to get thru to the manufacturer and he told me the cable may not have
been tensioned properly at the factory.Without getting into all the details or
airing dirty laundry it looks like Im getting the run around and will end up
replacing the cable myself and probably purchasing a new cable at my own
expense.
  My question is,,,what is the correct procedure when replacing the cable.The
tower will be in the vertical position and tilting it over is not very
practical.Do I have to lift the remaining three sections up several feet(with
comealong),install the cable and then release the sections so the cable is
under tension..I dont have access to a swage crimper for the cable ends,will
crossby clips work as well.???What type of 3/8 SS cable do I need??So far Im
out over 9.5k on the tower but I WILL be writing a review shortly,I hope the
manufacturer gets to read it but maybe I will send him a copy.