[TowerTalk] Local PE Stamps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Local PE Stamps
From: k1er@gte.net (John D. Peters)
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 02:24:22 -0700
wa2moe wrote:

> At 06:37 PM 6/1/97 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >> ALL the 50 States are required by the Constitution of the United States
> >> to recognize the laws of other States.
> --------------------
> Article IV of the Constitution  :
>
>   Section 1." Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the
> public Acts, Records and Judicial Proceedings of every other State..."
>
>   Section 4  "The United States shall guarantee to every State a Republican
> Form of Government..." and
>
> Amendment X to the Constitution :
>

> " The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
> prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or
> to  the people."
> <<<SNIP>>>

I have moved my Tristao (predecessor to US Towers) many times. The Calif
PE opinion on the tower sections may be accepted, but many areas was a
local PE to certify the base design and installation for the local soil
and wind conditions.  In some areas the building department actually has
a qualified engineer on the staff. In those cases he/she will frequently
glance at the mfr plans and issue the permit.  Where the staff is mostly
admin types, they keep the local PEs employed.  The best case I ever had
was in NH.  The guy in charge just said, "Build it sturdy, it gets windy
here."  CO was a close second, the guy in charge said "that's the biggest
tower I've ever seen for a ham" and issued the permit.

Just be cooperative and friendly is my advice.  If you're nice, they
usually are.  If they want a local PE to certify your installation plan,
don't be surprized if it costs you $1,000 for the process. (As Kimo also
observed for Hawaii in an earlier post.)

There is no federal jusisdiction over local building and zoning
departments and they do not have to recognize any out of state stuff.

73 John K1ER