[TowerTalk] Re:An Engineering Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:An Engineering Question
From: kn6di@IDT.NET (Daniel H. Arney Jr.)
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 02:07:16 -0700
Stan Griffiths wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >Just reflecting on the problem of placing guy anchors
> >closer to the base of the tower...
> >
> >Interesting how yachting designers plan their rigging to
> >keep 100+ foot masts upright, when they are limited
> >by the beam of the yacht.  And how many square feet
> >of sail area?
> >
> >Martin ZL1ANJ
>
> For what it's worth, I notice that a yacht's mast is not vertical with
> respect to the earth's surface when under sail.  It rolls the boat over
> pretty good.  Again, I suspect the mechanics of this are quite different
> than antenna towers.
>
> Stan  w7ni@teleport.com
>
> --

You have to remember that a boat under sail power is flying a wing, it
is an AIRFOIL that flys just like a wing of an airplane, just happens to
be in the vertical plane. This is without going into all of the detail.
Please do not find the thread and try to thread the needle. Not radio
related. just a point.
Hank KN6DI