[TowerTalk] Gin Pole rope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole rope
From: patrickl@wco.com (Patrick Lynd)
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 01:47:58 -0700
I've read all the recommendations for Gin Pole rope. I'd like to give
you some ideas on the subject and you can take it for what you think it
is worth.

First it's important to know why I'm even making a recommendation. While
I was in the service I was a Drill Sergeant and taught rapelling to the
recruits. I now work in the Fire Service and have beeninstructing
rapelling, ladder truck operations, high angle rescue, and heavy rescue
courses for 21 years. Needless to say I work with rope a lot!!!

For hoisting equipment the original recommendation of 3/4" manila was
good as long as it has sufficient tensile strength for the job. If you
are concerned about it coming unravelled simply back splice the ends. A
back splice is only a fraction larger than the original diameter of the
rope so it will run through block and tackle with ease. Stretch, UV
resistance, and water penetration should not concern you unless you plan
on leaving the rope out in the open for more than a month.

If you are looking for rope to secure your body then there are only two
choices:

1. Climbing rope. This is the rope with a dacron center and a weaved
outer sheath. It sort of looks like Coax Cable. It's VERY expensive,
but meets all known Federal and State Health and Safety codes for
personal safety equipment.

2. Military rapelling rope. It meets Federal standards but may not meet
   certain State requirements.

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case. If you don't know what
type of knot to use or how to tie it you are asking for TROUBLE. NEVER,
NEVER, NEVER, tie rope for personal safety to anything but a carabiner
and then the carabiner is snapped to the anchor point.

If you think that the bowline knot is still being used, then it is time
for you to get over to your local FD and ask for help on your knots. I
have seen more than one accident in my career due to improper knots so
needless to say I am very fanatical about doing it the right way.

Good luck and be safe.

Patrick Lynd (AC6YD)
patrickl@wco.com