[TowerTalk] HORNETs and T2X

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HORNETs and T2X
From: kd4wiw@ipass.net (Steve Vinson)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:45:32 -0700
> > I was getting ready to climb my tower today when I noticed 1/2 doz
> > large Hornets buzzing  around one of the lower sections. I was
> > feeling lucky this morning so I decided to climb anyway. I got abt > > 30ft
> > off the
> > ground when they began to swarm around me. None of them actually
> > stung me but they made it plain that my presence was not wanted. I
> > concluded that discretion is the better part of valor and made a     > >
> > hasty decent.  I've been thinking about a easy way to get rid of
> > these uninvited guests but hav'nt had any luck. Anyone out there in
> > antenna land have any good solutions?????
>
>       Wait until dark when all of the little buggers are back in the > hive
> and
> then take a can or two of some wasp/hornet spray up the tower and soak > the
> hive. These cans will shoot 8-10 feet or more so you can be a
> little ways away from the nest whilst nuking it.
>
>      If you are bitten, put some Adolph's Meat Tenderizer on the sting. > The
> pain and swelling will go away almost immediately.
>
> 73,  Steve  K7LXC

The meat tenderizer works well but is hard to use on the tower ... If
 you are on the ground mix a slightly liquid paste and apply.  The venom
is a protein and the meat tenderizer breaks the protein fibers thus
making the meat more tender.  However having 25 years working in
Emergency Medical Services I learned several other "Wives Tales".
Another "treatment" is to put ammonia on the sting as soon as possible.
The quicker the better.  You can use a small plastic bottle and cotton
swab to soak the area or use ammonia inhalants.  Works for hornets,
wasps, bees, and yellow jackets.  The nice thing about ammonia is you
can take it with you!!!  Good luck ... Later

                                         Steve
                                         KD4WIW