[TowerTalk] Glen Martin Roof Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Glen Martin Roof Towers
From: k2kv@netusa.net (Jeff Singer)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:44:25 +0100
Casey -

If you can't get under the roof, you shouldn't put up that tower, unless
you're prepared to guy it to something secure! Otherwise, it'll just tip
over as soon as the wind kicks up. And 15 feet of mast is too much
sticking out for that kind of setup.

I had a 15 foot Create tower up for several years, with several
different antennas, the last of which was a huge Mosley Pro-57B, but it
was guyed with Philystran to heavy bolts placed through rafters in the
roof, which I had easy access to. Never had a problem, always felt VERY
sturdy, climbed it a lot.

As far as height/performance is concerned, just put up as much antenna
as you can handle, as high as you're comfortable with. My setup back
then was only abt 40 feet high and I had a great time working the world,
and winning my section in many contests.

My KLM kt34-a at 55 feet often outperforms my kt34-XA at 90 feet. Don't
worry abt the height, just do what you can.

Good luck.

73 de Jeff K2KV
k2kv@netusa.net