[TowerTalk] Welding Chrome Moly

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Welding Chrome Moly
From: shueyj@epix.net (Joe Shuey NE3H)
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 20:36:17 -0400
Kenneth Mathews wrote:

> Hello,
> I have read the postings on drilling Chrome moly and wonder if anyone
> has thought about having a bead of weld put down both sides of the
> mast that will go into the rotor mount and help keep it from twisting in
> the mount due to the torque.  Does anyone have knowledge of how
> to and what type of welding to use of this type of material.
> Thanks in advance , for your input and advice.
> 73
> Ken, WD4CQE
>
> --
Ken - while welding Chrome Moly is no trick - just use mild steel rod -
be very careful about doing it, and perhaps consult a professional
engineer.  I would not use an electric welder to 'run a bead down each
side' - I would gas weld it, as the temperature transients are much mre
severe with electric welding. Or .. conversely .. reheat and draw the
metal after the welding.
de joe
NE3H
73!