[TowerTalk] Dipole Height on the low bands - Summary

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dipole Height on the low bands - Summary
From: py1cas@ax.apc.org (Carlos Augusto S. Pereira)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 17:50:24 -0300
Esta é uma mensagem de várias partes no formato MIME.

--------------160D45D67B4D

I found iteresting replies about this subject and for this reason I am
sending a summary back to the reflector. Thank you all, it was vy
helpful!

Carlos - PY1CAS

--------------160D45D67B4D

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 03:46:25 -0700
From: Ed Sleight <k4sb@worldnet.att.net>
To: py1cas@ax.apc.org
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Height on the low bands

Hi Carlos,,,,,well the answer to your high dipole on a building is what
does it see for ground....and I bet it sees all that steel flooring.

Might suggest you try installing it on the very edge of the building and
see what happens, but pick which side carefully...it's going to be very
directional toward the perpendicular of that wall.

73

Ed

--------------160D45D67B4D

From: "bryan edwards" <bryan@prodistributors.com>
To: <py1cas@ax.apc.org>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 14:14:06 -0500

The higher the better for long haul DX work.....

Bryan W5KFT

----------
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>

--------------160D45D67B4D

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 12:50:33 -0700
To: py1cas@ax.apc.org
From: Stu Greene <wa2moe@doitnow.com>

At 04:44 PM 9/12/97 -0300, you wrote:
 But if
>we install a dipole for 80 meters on the top of a very tall building?
>What happens? Can we expect a low angle or not,

YES &  73

--------------160D45D67B4D

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:05:09 -0500
From: "John D. Farr" <johnfarr@ro.com>
To: py1cas@ax.apc.org

Carlos:

There would be a few more parameters, but I don't think they will have a
bunch of influence. First, you should get a lobe that is about vertical
because of the reflection from the top of the building. The low-angle
lobes should be as predicted for an antenna of that height provided that
the antenna is high enough off the roof that the antenna can "see" the
ground at a depression angle that is equal to the radiation angle.

The other factor has to do with the surrounding terrain. The lobing
caused by ground effects are due to reflections from a flat earth.
Chances are that if you are on a building top, there will be other
buildings in the area. If the building density is really high like in
the downtown part of a major city, I don't think you can make the flat
earth assumption to predict the patterns. Of course this doesn't mean
that the antenna won't work well, you just won't be able to predict the
performance with the certainty that you would with a flat earth.

John
KC4ZXX

From: w2cya@broadcast.net
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 97 16:02:06 PDT
Sender: John Ferebee <jferebee@.dns.ultranet.com>
To: py1cas@ax.apc.org

Hello Carlos:

Saw your message.

Our ham club station here in New York City is located in a
bldg that is about 350 meters high.

On certain bands the dipoles work like a house on fire.  Big
signals.  They are about 30 feet above the tower bldgs which
puts them about 100 feet above the main roof.

We have had many beams and they have worked very well.  Now
we have a log as the other beams could not survice the
weather.

A Hy-Gain DX-88 vertical has worked quite well - out doing
many stations with beams in pileups to Europe and elsewhere.

We have a 1/2 wave and 5/8 wave(verticals) on 10 meters.  At
the very tip of Long Island we get reports of 20/30 over 9
with 125 watts.  More with the amp on of course.

On 160 we load the bldg as a shunt fed vertical and have the
radial wires up top.  We do run max power with outboard audio
processing.  We get, at times, 20-30 over 9 in Europe when
condx are good.  We have no trouble working DX at all.

Our station is way down in the bldg and our 5 - 743 foot
feeders to the roof are 1 5/8" hardline so we don't really
have any loss re Andrew/Cellwave data sheets.

Our bldg is right on NY Harbor in lower Manhattan in NYC.

I have asked the same question but if you are high up and the
dipole is high above the main roof - they seem to play like
wild fire.  If you have a tin roof, antenna not so high above
the roof it could be a different story however.

73, John

Name:    John Ferebee
Radio:   Talk Radio on 160 meters - W2CYA
Email:   w2cya@broadcast.net
Company: Bell Atlantic, New York, NY
Voice:   (212) 766-0411, (212) 429-8882
Fax:     (212) 577-7426 - 24 hours
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date:    09/12/97   Time: 16:02:06

--------------160D45D67B4D

To: TOWERTALK@CONTESTING.COM, py1cas@ax.apc.org
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:50:58 -0600
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)

A dipole mounted on the roof of a tall building presents a complex
situation.  The feedpoint impedance will likely be determined by
the height of the dipole above the roof (and conducting steel support
beams etc).  The ground reflection will depend on how high and
close the the edge of the roof the antenna is placed.

If the antenna is mounted close to the edge, the ground reflection
in that direction will be from the earth below.  If the roof is wide, the

reflection across the roof will be from the roof (high angle).

de  Tom  N4KG

--------------160D45D67B4D

To: TOWERTALK@CONTESTING.COM, py1cas@ax.apc.org
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:50:58 -0600
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Sender: owner-towertalk@contesting.com

--------------160D45D67B4D

To: py1cas@ax.apc.org
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 21:58:39 -0400
From: Pete Soper <psoper@encore.com>

Hello Carlos,
        The biggest other parameter is metal in the building resonating with
the antenna. I built antennas on the electrical engineering building of the
university near here. The 40m antenna worked very well, but the 80m antenna
was "insane" with respect to its feedpoint impedance due to interaction with
the building. Another parameter is the presence of objects around the
building at various heights. If you are at the top of a building "by itself"
with the surrounding ground at normal height, fine. If you are at the top of
a building surrounded by other buildings, I don't think you'll see the
advantage you might wish for.

Regards,
Pete
KS4XG

--------------160D45D67B4D

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 08:32:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: "L. B. Cebik" <cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu>
To: "Carlos Augusto S. Pereira" <py1cas@ax.apc.org>

Carlos,

If the 80-meter antenna is installed on top of a tall building, there will
be some effect on the elevation angle of max radiation, but it is likely
to be small.  Most of yur radiation going downward will miss the building
and hence the ground and other structures will be the major influences.
Using supports as high as possible on top of the building will help by
allowing more radiation to miss the roof.  Many buildings do not have
metalic roof structures, and some of the radiation downward may also pass
through the roof to something lower before reflecting.

Hence, I suggest that it is certainly worth a trial antenna to check
results.  Installing an antenna on the building top is easier than
erecting two high towers.

Good luck on the project.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu

--------------160D45D67B4D

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 10:49:33
To: py1cas@ax.apc.org
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>

At 04:44 PM 9/12/97 -0300, you wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>We all know that the height of a dipole over the ground deeply
>influences the take-off angle of a horizontaly polarized antenna. With a
>higher antenna we should expect a lower radiation angle. Right?
>
>Well, we also know that for 80m we need at least 1/2 wavelenght in order
>to obtain a 30 degrees angle. For that we need a very high tower! But if
>we install a dipole for 80 meters on the top of a very tall building?
>What happens? Can we expect a low angle or not, or there are more
>parameters involved on it?

Hi Carlos -- I believe the right answer may be somewhere in between.  At
the U.S. Department of State Radio Club, we used to have dipoles for 40 and
80 installed on top of a relatively small building, 40 m. above ground but
only 3-4 m. above a rooftop no larger than the length of the longest
dipole.  They certainly did not perform like dipoles 3-4 m. above ground,
but they weren't as good as one might have hoped from their height above
ground.  I had a similar experience at the 4U1WB (World Bank)club station
during the 1992 CW WPX contest.

My suspicion is that the antenna is really seeing two ground planes,
probably dominated by the one relatively far from the antenna, because the
Fresnel reflection zone at 80m. is thousands of meters from the antenna.
Still there are losses and reflections from conducting structures close to
the antenna, and its pattern reflects that too.  You can model an
approximation with Mininec, which allows you to have several ground planes
of different heights as long as you make them concentric circles.

I hope this is helpful.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

--------------160D45D67B4D

From: "Richard M. Manns" <rcc@kuentos.guam.net>
To: "'py1cas@ax.apc.org'" <py1cas@ax.apc.org>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 08:53:41 -0700
Return-Receipt-To: <rcc@kuentos.guam.net>

------ =_NextPart_000_01BCC022.8F0DD240

Hi Carlos - you're right a lot of other factors come into play
1. Assume the building is 500 ft above sea level and the dipole is 40 ft above
the roof you are
now 540 ft above sea level so far so good.
2. The next question is the composition of the roof i.e. tin or concrete with
LOTS of rebar? What I'm getting
At is that the roof may well act like the soil in your area for it's electrical
characteristics and the net result
Being that of a similar dipole mounted on the ground resulting in the same
launch angle but in any case
My preference would be the tall building all other things being equal.

Gud luck es 73
Dick  KH2G

We all know that the height of a dipole over the ground deeply
influences the take-off angle of a horizontaly polarized antenna. With a
higher antenna we should expect a lower radiation angle. Right?

Well, we also know that for 80m we need at least 1/2 wavelenght in order
to obtain a 30 degrees angle. For that we need a very high tower! But if
we install a dipole for 80 meters on the top of a very tall building?
What happens? Can we expect a low angle or not, or there are more
parameters involved on it?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos - PY1CAS
E-mail: py1cas@ax.apc.org

------ =_NextPart_000_01BCC022.8F0DD240
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From: force12@interserv.com
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 11:12:53 -0700 (PDT)
To: py1cas@ax.apc.org

Good afternoon, Carlos.

The 80 dipole will be affected by the roof and how close the dipole is to
the edge of the roof. I have had rotatable 80 mtr dipoles on two roof tops
on Dxpeditions. The last one was XZ1N.

The best location for the dipole is right at the edge of the roof. The
dipole is parallel to the side of the building. If you can get the dipole
out, over the edge of the building, it will be best.

Having a rotatable 80 was good for testing. When the dipole was rotated so
part was over the roof, the VSWR changed very much. This indicates the
dipole is coupling to the roof - not good! The rotatable dipoles were about
16' above the roof (80 mtrs).

The next best is to have the dipole very high above the roof. This will
minimize the coupling to the roof. A height of 30' might be all right.

The roof is a lot of steel. It also has wiring, etc. This means it can act
as ground. Yes, the ground reflection zone is beyond the roof; however, the
roof is in the near field.

Have a good day and 73,
                        Tom, N6BT
                        Force 12 Antennas and Systems