[TowerTalk] Previous Mosley post. Warning: semi-friendly comments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Previous Mosley post. Warning: semi-friendly comments
From: wf3h@enter.net (bob puharic)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 01:05:08 +0000

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> Hola, TowerTalkians --
>
>      A couple of weeks ago I posted a message in response to an inquiry about
> Mosley antennas. I stated that they suffered from PDS - performance deficit
> syndrome. It was posted to a couple of other reflectors besides TowerTalk so
> lots of people had a chance to read it and get upset.
>
>     I was expecting some excited responses from Mosley owners defending their
> antennas. Guess what? I didn't get a single one!

>     I wanted to make some additional comments about this topic.
>     I have a theory about why PRO Mosley owners think their antennas work FB.
> First, they usually don't have anything to compare it to. No reference dipole
> or other yagi so the fact that they are able to work DX, their buddies, etc.
> must mean that it's working FB.

Well I guess I should chime in here. I have a mosley pro67B. As a member of the
Frankford Radio Club, I've had a chance to use some of the world's best contest
stations. If you check the scores of FRC you'll see we do pretty well. So I'm
kinda familiar with other antennas

Yes, Steve is right; the KT34 will outperform a mosley...usually. BUT the pro
serious is STILL a great performer in its own right. The 67B covers all bands
from 40-10 except 30. And that is a compromise. But it works VERY well. I've
clobbered my share of pileups with it. I've had stations in Africa tell me I was
the only station they could hear, or had a G3 tell me I was so loud that I
'scared him half to death'.  I ran a phone patch for the USCG/USAF when NO other
station listening could get through.

The biggest fault with the pro series, especially on the lower bands (40) is
f/b.

>      The two high performance triband antennas remain the TH7 and KT34XA.

And I think this is part of the scope of the definition. The pro67B covers 40,
20,10, 12, 15, and 17. It is certainly within the performance class of a KT34XA.
It won't USUALLY beat the KT but it does, on some occasions. If you, like I, am
'xyl' limited to ONE tower and ONE beam then go for the gusto...the PRO does a
great job. If you're NOT limited then put up beams and towers. There is no
substitute for a monobander. They win everytime.