[TowerTalk] "Y" antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "Y" antenna
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 21:40:34 +0800
Howdy All.

I put up a receiving antenna for the 160 test and was pleasantly
surprised how well it worked.  I don't have room for a real long
beverage, so I ran out about 250 feet of wire to the NE, unterminated.
About 50 feet out from the shack, I hooked another wire it and ran it to
the SE. Kinda like a big "Y"  Fed it against ground and tuned it with a
home made tuner.  The thing worked GREAT.  Noise on the inverted L is
about S-9 and signals are about the same.  On the RX antenna, the noise
was S-3 to 4 and the signals were S-6 or better.  What a difference on
receive.  So, if you dont have a lot of room the "Y" may be the answer
for you.  Sure worked good here. 73
Tom W7WHY