[TowerTalk] A4S SWR correction-new problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A4S SWR correction-new problem
From: grimm@lynchburg.net (Kenneth D. Grimm)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 23:23:49 -0500

Bill Hinkle wrote:

> The SWR on the 75m sloper is 4 to 1 in the DX window.
>
>                             73, Bill Kb3AUG

If the sloper worked before and you haven't added anything to the antenna
farm around it, it's gotta be between the feedpoint and the output of the
rig.   Have you checked both sides of the connection between feedline and
antenna/tower?  Do I understand that you have a  Balun on the sloper?
If so, that would be the next thing that I would suspect, then the
feedline, then possibly other hardware such as switches, RF Amp meters,
line "flatteners" and other such stuff that some hams put in their
transmission lines.  Wherever there is a coax connector make sure that
they are screwed on tightly.  I once had similar symptoms on an antenna
and found that I hadn't screwed the connector on the back of the
tuner/antenna switch box tightly.  Of course I didn't make this discovery
until I had been up and down the tower three times.  The moral of this
story is to check all the stuff you can think of back there behind the
rig before putting on your winter togs and climbing the ice covered rungs
of your tower!

Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net