[TowerTalk] Beverage doubts.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beverage doubts.
From: w2xx@cloud9.net (J.P. Kleinhaus)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:21:16 -0400
Hi Pete:

Your experience is not unusual.  In my experience, I have found that
the 4-square is a very good receiving antenna and will normally
surpass the performance of a short (i.e.,300-500 foot) beverage.
On certain occasions, the beverage might be better, but not enough
to warrant the construction and maintenance.

My experiences with LONG beverages are limited to a few stints
as the 80 meter op at K1KI's multi/multi.  Tom has a 4-square
that really kicks butt.  On 80, I had a selection of beverages,
most of them 5-600 footers, but one 1200 (!) footer to Europe.
The 1200 foot beverage was incredible, allowing me to pick out
signals that were barely audible on the 4-square.  On one occasion,
we had a pre-amp in line, but most recently (in ARRL DX CW 1998)
there was no pre-amp.  I don't think I lost any QSO's because of
the lack of pre-amplification.

Someone else made a comment disparaging pre-amps in general on
beverages, but I can't agree.  At the KE2NL station, we successfully
pre-amps on
the 580 foot EU beverage.  However, the primary transmit antenna is
a pair of phased dipoles, and doesn't have the F/B and F/S of a
properly functioning 4-square.

Conclusion:  If you can, build a bigger beverage, at least 500+ feet.
If not, you are probably wasting your time.

73, J.P. W2XX
J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX  (fdba AA2DU)
E-mail:  w2xx@cloud9.net

As we say in the software business:  "You are hosed."