[TowerTalk] More comments on lightning - second hand from an expert

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More comments on lightning - second hand from an expert
From: k1ttt@berkshire.net (David Robbins)
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 00:54:55 +0000
dave@egh.com wrote:
>         My tallest tower is now only 85 feet tall, yet I have had towers
> above tree level for almost 15 years and have yet to experience a lightning
> hit.  The towers are grounded, yet I am not sure how good the ground is at
> this point in time.  To what do I attribute my lightning-free experience?
> Only Divine providence.  However, the moral of the story is that you should
> not expect to be safe from lightning strikes simply because there are taller
> objects nearby than your tower.

well, maybe divine prvidence and a bit of statistics.

consider a 30m high tower.  use a 45 degree angle down from the top of
the
tower (a 45 degree angle is a commonly used estimate for how big of an
area
is 'protected' by a tall pole or wire).  This means that any stroke in
an
area of  about 2800 square meters around the tower may strike the tower
instead of the ground.  i don't remember the statistics for your area,
but
out here in western mass there are about 4 strokes per square kilometer
per
year on the average.  this means 4 strokes in 1,000,000 square meters
per
year.... so your 2800 square meter area would get   4*2800/1000000 or
about
.0112 strokes per year, or about one stroke every 89 years that may hit
the
tower itself, or may ignore it and still hit the ground.

--
David Robbins K1TTT (ex KY1H)
k1ttt@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net